If the space you live in is too small for cats and dogs to move around, or you are afraid of being scratched and bitten, then choose a pet guinea pig with a small size and a gentle personality!
The average lifespan of guinea pigs is about 5-7 years, and some can be as long as 10 years. You must be mentally prepared before raising them. Make sure there are no other animals in your home that could harm it, such as cats and dogs. If that's okay with you, let's get to know cute guinea pigs.
Things to Know About Guinea Pigs
Guinea pigs are very cute animals. Before making a big commitment, there are a few things you need to know. From life expectancy to social habits of pet guinea pigs. Before choosing a guinea pig as a pet, there are a few things to consider.
Responsibility to Guinea Pigs
In general, keeping pets is definitely more troublesome, time-consuming and energy-consuming than not keeping pets. Guinea pigs can eat very well, and they are also very good at lapping. so as to easily pollute the environment. All you have to be diligent, otherwise the smell is too big and stinky. If you are not diligent and afraid of getting dirty, it is not recommended to keep it. But if you decide to keep it, stick to it. Don't give up when you get bored and take it home.
Learn About the Personality of Guinea Pigs
Guinea pigs are very cute little animals. Cute, delicious and lazy. They are larger, more like a bunny, and are docile and do not bite. Guinea pigs have sensitive hearing and are timid and easily startled.
It is of medium size. Neither too small like a hamster, nor too large like a rabbit. More suitable for playing in the hand (about 15 to 20 cm). Guinea pigs are clumsy and cute, unlike hamsters or squirrels that can't be caught once they run away. And they are not sticky, except for eating, most of the time they are indifferent. It is very suitable for feeding children or the elderly.
Guinea Pigs Need A Large Guinea Pig Cage
Never keep guinea pigs free, they will pee everywhere. To keep them happy in the cage, it is best to make the big guinea pig cage as large as possible, allowing them to move around freely. Otherwise they will gain weight by not getting enough exercise. Since guinea pigs are social, many owners keep two. Then you need to prepare a big guinea pig cage for 2. There are no special requirements for the height of the guinea pig cage, because after all they can't jump up either. But the flat bottom activity area is larger. In addition to their daily activity space, there are also toys.
Provide Toys and Space
The guinea pig needs your company very much, and needs you to play with it often, instead of gradually neglecting it. If you're running out of time, get them some toys.
Your guinea pigs are going to be a little bored in their cozy apartment. Guinea pigs tend to get bored when they are not mentally stimulated. So make a one-of-a-kind maze or obstacle tunnel. Or chew sticks. This is another great toy that these rodents love. As long as you choose high-quality, all-natural wood sticks, such as organic apple branches. Don't be surprised when these disappear super fast! Not only are these bars delicious, but they're also a great way to keep your teeth healthy.
If you want to breed, you can keep a pair or a male and two females. The gestation period of guinea pigs is about 60 to 70 days, and about 6 litters can be produced each year. Babies are born with teeth and fur, their eyes are open, and they can start eating right away. However, it is recommended that the young mice should not be kept alone within 2 weeks of birth, and it is better to be taken care of by the mother mice. Pups reach maturity after about 3 months.
Also, please note that the best gestation period for guinea pigs is 5-9 months. If it exceeds or falls below this time, miscarriage, dystocia, etc. will occur.
How to Feed Guinea Pigs?
Now that you've decided to keep guinea pigs, you need to understand how guinea pigs live. In order to maintain the physical and mental health of pet guinea pigs. Are guinea pigs easy to take care of? What do guinea pigs need?
Guinea pigs are also warm-blooded animals. Although they have fur, they are still afraid of cold and heat. They like to live in a warm, quiet environment. The guinea pig cage should avoid direct sunlight and wind and rain, and pay attention to ventilation. A guinea pig cage should have sawdust, a water bottle and bedding. To control the breeding density, the number of breeding should not be increased blindly. Prevent guinea pigs from fighting each other.
- Six months ago the recommendation was unlimited alfalfa hay, after six months the recommendation was unlimited timothy hay. Can be properly paired with some peanuts, bananas, chestnuts and apples. Feed once in the morning and once in the evening, and feed more at night. It is forbidden to feed leeks, ginger, onions, green onions, garlic, chocolate and other foods.
- Increase the cellulose content of the feed. Avoid severe hair loss in guinea pigs, or the occurrence of mutual eating.
- Guinea pigs weighing 100 grams provide 4-5 mg of vitamin C per day. Pregnant or lactating pet guinea pigs should provide 30-40 mg per day.
- Vitamin C can be provided by fresh, juicy green vegetables. In northern areas, carrots and malt can be fed after winter. You can also add Vitamin C to drinking water. Or trace elements and amino acids to the mixed pellet feed to replace green feed.
Guinea pigs, like hamsters and rabbits, have teeth that grow for life. In addition to not feeding too soft food, teeth grinding items should also be provided. It is generally recommended to use grass bricks, which can not only grind teeth but also be used as food, which is more economical. If possible, use twigs (tender apple wood twigs).
Guinea pigs are nocturnal animals. They are more lively at night. So you can play with them a little longer at night. And they will eat at night, so they need to prepare some food before going to bed.
Too much light can cause pet guinea pig eye stab wounds. So don't expose them to strong sunlight for a long time. And they are naturally afraid of water, and don't try to get guinea pigs to swim.
After a long time, the guinea pig gets dirty and needs to take a bath. Please note that the water temperature should be kept at room temperature (about 25 degrees) when taking a bath. And don't wash the head, it should be wiped clean with a wrung towel. The ear must not get water, it will die. After washing, be sure to blow dry immediately to prevent colds or freeze to death. Do not use ordinary shampoo or soap, recommend using Johnson & Johnson baby products.
Also, they are very flavorful, especially in summer. So try to give guinea pigs deodorized rat food. You should also clean the large guinea pig cage frequently and change the bedding.
Unlike hamsters, pet guinea pigs can be raised with two. Guinea pigs are social animals. But you can have one. A large number of people keep one first, and if they like it, they can keep it. If you raise two, you should pay attention to the closeness of the body, otherwise the weak will be eliminated. One male and one female should be mentally prepared to raise them together, and they will reproduce a lot.
- Be prepared to destroy furniture, bite wires, and pee everywhere if you are free-range.
- Pigs are naturally unable to synthesize vitamin C due to genetic factors. Lack of vitamin C can cause septicemia, causing pigs to die! So pay attention.
- Guinea pigs are quite greedy. You must keep its food bowl full at all times, as it may need to eat at any time. There should also be ceramic or stainless steel ones that have a certain weight and are not easy to be knocked over.
- Small pet guinea pigs have a very sensitive sense of smell and will develop aversion to some strong-smelling foods. So try not to feed it smelly food.
- Special attention, cute guinea pigs have many natural enemies. Be careful not to be eaten by mice, cats, dogs and other animals when you go out.
- Guinea pigs have good hearing. Sensitive to external stimuli such as sudden vibrations and sounds. It can even cause miscarriage, so the environment should be kept quiet.
- They whirr or whistle when they get their favorite food or when they want to get your attention.
Guide About A Guinea Pig Cage
Earlier we said that free-range guinea pig pet is very bad. Then if you want to cage, you need to prepare an indoor guinea pig cage that is spacious enough. Many people like to make their own. This works too. But it will take time and effort. More people prefer to buy directly. Then let's learn about the guinea pig cage.
How Big Should A Guinea Pig Cage Be?
According to experience, a guinea pig cage should be more than fifty centimeters long, and more than thirty centimeters wide and high. Of course, the guinea pig cage size also depends on the number you raise and the size of your space. The big guinea pig cage needs to be sturdy enough, given that guinea pigs may be gnawing on the cage a lot.
What Do Guinea Pigs Need in Their Cage?
Guinea Pig Supplies:
Most indoor guinea pig cages come with their own food bowls. If you need to buy it yourself, general small containers can be used. As long as it is not easy to overturn, and the edge is not too high. Otherwise, the guinea pig will not be able to climb in easily. It is best to choose ceramic or stainless steel.
Most indoor guinea pig cages also have their own drinking fountains. Never take a bowl of water directly. Because guinea pigs will wet their fur when they drink water, or swim in them, they are prone to catch cold and get sick. The water should also use the water we drink, otherwise it will cause diarrhea. A roll-on drinker is recommended to provide water to the guinea pigs to keep the box dry.
At present, the toilets purchased on the market are relatively expensive. If you can afford it, you should buy one for them. If you don't have a budget, a plastic box with cat litter is a relatively simple toilet. Remove caked litter or replace it all daily. This is in accordance with personal hygiene habits.
Moderate exercise is very important for guinea pigs. Without enough exercise, they will fight each other and bite the cage due to excessive stress. So careful owners should prepare a running wheel for them. At the same time, because the current owners give them very good nutrition, the mice are often overweight. Most big guinea pig cages have their own running wheels. But if you want to buy it, you should pay attention to choosing a seamless running wheel. Otherwise, pet guinea pigs are easily injured.
As the bedding material of the guinea pig cage, many materials are available. But most people use wood chips. Because it's cleaner and easier to get. Be careful when using paper pads, do not use printed paper, ink is poisonous, and guinea pigs will be poisoned.
Molar Stone / Molar Stick:
Guinea pigs have teeth that are constantly growing, so a molar stick is needed to remove any overgrown teeth. There are many types of molar sticks, including block molars (made of mineral salts), vegetable and fruit shapes, and strips. The flavors of different companies are different, but the effect is similar, it depends on what flavor your guinea pig likes.
Because the rat is an animal that likes to burrow, it should be equipped with a hut for the rat if possible. The huts are available in ceramic, wooden, grass, and plastic. Guinea pigs love it.
Not all cages need foot pads. Foot pads are mainly to prevent the guinea pig's feet from getting stuck on the bottom of the cage. Prevents inflammation from contact between iron and guinea pig feet.
How to Clean A Large Guinea Pig Cage?
Items to prepare:
- A large garbage bag or waste cardboard box for waste.
- Rubber gloves.
- A set of small brooms and dustpans.
- Small containers (take-out boxes, temporary small cages, etc.) temporarily put the mice in.
- Get some wipes.
- Prepare two rags specially designed for wiping mice and mice.
- Take some guinea pig used litter and put it in the temporary space, pick it up and put it in the temporary space.
- Take out all the items in the space first. Then remove the litter from the guinea pig cage and put it in the prepared garbage bag.
- Use a dustpan to sweep away the remaining poop.
- Wipe the whole with a wet towel, then carefully wipe it twice with a wet cloth, and then dry it with a dry cloth.
- Then go wash the guinea pig supplies. Let the cage dry with a change of air.
- Rinse guinea pig supplies thoroughly with water until clean. Then take a dry towel to dry.
- Allow to dry and you can rearrange these items in the guinea pig cage to your liking. Then put in the litter you want to use.
- Add food to the guinea pig and return the guinea pig to the guinea pig cage.
The guinea pig is a cute pet. Although it is petite, its vitality is tenacious. The relationship between the owner and the pig should be cultivated step by step. You can gently stroke its head and groom it, which will increase its trust in you. Because they are very timid, it is recommended that the owner not reprimand it loudly, nor let it casually play with strangers.
Although guinea pigs are cute enough, if you are going to raise pet guinea pigs, the above is what you must consider. Otherwise, it will be troublesome to encounter these problems after feeding. Above are things to know about guinea pigs.